Yesterday we went to this well-known store here in Monterrey that sells bread, yogurt and a variety of heathy products that are hard to get in regular supermarkets. I bought a couple of things that I will post about later. I had never been there before, but my boyfriend had and wanted some yogurt. It was pretty delicious. We are going back for some bread this week. I wonder what kind was in the empty basket... : O
Birds are funny.... This one had such pretty colors I had to take a picture. :)
Boyfriend brought me this mug yesterday from a trip. He is obviously aware of two of my loves in life: cats and coffee. I think Midnight approves because he looks like the cat on it...
I have already tried three different no-bake oatmeal cookie recipes and this one has been the best. If you like honey, pecans (I toasted them because they are SO much better this way!), and the idea of homemade granola, you'll love these.
As always, summer has been very warm here in Monterrey and the last thing I want is to have to use my oven. Because of this, I searched for no-bake dessert recipes that would quench my desire to cook and experiment in the kitchen. I love to cook...especially desserts (I love making delicious food for others even though I am more of a salty food fan myself).
What I love about making homemade oatmeal cookies/bars/balls is that you can easily add ingredients like dried fruit, nuts, flaxseed, wheat germ, etc. or change ingredients (maybe substitute chocolate for peanut butter, almond butter or the like) and they will still be delicious. You can pretty much create your own recipe by using ingredients you like. What's more, you can make them way healthier than the variety they sell in stores.
2/3 c. pecans (chopped into small pieces)
1 c. dry old fashioned oatmeal
1 tbsp. shredded coconut
1/4 c. puffed quinoa
1 tbsp. amaranth
1 tbsp. chia seeds
1/3 c. chopped up pieces of chocolate or chocolate chips (optional)
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1/3 c. honey
1.5 tbsp. coconut oil
2 tbsp. Nutella
1. Cut pecans into small pieces (aim towards cutting each half into at least 6 pieces). The smaller the pieces, the easier the balls will form at the end. Place pecan pieces in medium-sized pan over light flame for about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally and making sure they are not piled on top of each other. No need for extra oil. Pecans will begin toasting FAST and you don't want them to start turning brown or black. You'll know when they are ready when they start becoming aromatic. Remove from pan immediately and place in small bowl (they will continue toasting if they are left there).
2. Place all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix together. Add the vanilla extract, honey, coconut oil and Nutella. Mix together. If you want to add ¨chunks¨ of chocolate aside from the Nutella, add them in at this point. Mix again.
In my case, I found a box with a variety of Ghirardelli chocolate squares in my refrigerator. I chose three squares with different flavors and cut them up into small pieces, but anything else could of worked (Hershey's bars, Reese's Pieces cups...anything you have around). Cover mixture and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
3. After mixture has completely cooled, use hands to make small balls (approximately 1-1.5 in. in diameter). Pack as tightly as possible. If balls fall apart and you are finding this too difficult, try adding Nutella (or peanut butter) in small increments until balls are more easily formed. Refrigerate once again for an hour. Once they have been refrigerated in ball form, they won't fall apart.
People around me are constantly getting engaged, married, or having kids. For some reason or another, I have never given much thought to getting married and starting a family. To be honest, the whole idea terrified me until quite recently. At 29, I am too focused on my career and everything I want to do (there's SO much!).
How I feel about traditional engagement rings is the same way I feel about pristine white wedding dresses. While they may be beautiful, they are just not ¨me¨. Throughout the years I have come to the conclusion that I am not interested in common wedding traditions, ticking biological clocks, and dedicating all of my functional years to my offspring. What I want is to work hard, have time to dedicate to my own well-being, marry my best friend, and enjoy life with him.
Anyway...enough about me. Check out these beauties!
1. Three Stone Halo Black Diamond Ring [http://www.cobymadison.com/]
2. Black and White Three-stone Diamond Engagement Ring 3/5 Carat in 14k White Gold [http://diamond-me.shop.rakuten.com/]
3. 4.05 Carat Black Diamond 3 Stone Engagement Ring Vintage Style [http://www.jewelrypoint.com/]
4. 2.48 Carat Black Diamond Princess Cut Engagement Ring 18k White Gold [http://www.frontjewelers.net/]
5. 14k White Gold Oval Shaped Black Diamond Ring [http://www.cobymadison.com/]
6. 1 1/4 Carat B&W Diamond Engagement Ring in 10K White Gold [http://www.fredmeyerjewelers.com/]
Red...how I missed you! It only took around 6 hours at the hair salon to get the dark dye out, lighten a bit more, do the base dye color and then the lighter highlights! I wish it would stay this vibrant forever. Unfortunately, my previous experience with red hair prove that the initial brightness doesn't last very long. Nonetheless, I will do my best to wash it every other day with soft shampoo for colored hair. I plan to go back to the salon in around 6 weeks to get my roots touched up and possibly redo the highlights.
Soooo.... it has been SUCH a long time since I made any posts. I missed this blog! I have been so incredibly busy with work and finishing up my Master in Education! My life has been non-stop craziness, but I am finally on vacation and have a few weeks to dedicate to my personal projects before next school year begins.
I have so much to post about: new hair color (red!), new products I have been using, changes in my diet (after finally having visited a nutritionist), etc. But... I wanted to start by posting this video from a new source of inspiration I have found on YouTube. All of the videos I have seen are great and I very much recommend them to anyone who has suffered (or suffers) from acne. Melanie Murphy is a great example of a person that is beautiful inside and out. Thank you for being so brave and sharing your life with us!
Watch this video, have your mind blown, and follow her on Twitter: @melaniietweets and subscribe to her YouTube channel: Melanie Murphy
1. Fossil Georgia Three Hand Leather Watch in Tan (www.fossil.com), 2. Palm Beach White Dial Black Leather Watch (www.rakuten.com), 3. Timex Easy Reader SIlver Tone Leather Watch (www.kohls.com), 4. Fashion Woven Rivets Leather 3 Circles Retro Watch (www.bygoods.com), 5. Minnie Mouse Leather Strap Watch (www.disneystore.com), 6. Black Friendship Watch (www.asos.com), 7. Vernier Ladies Fashion Genuine Puffed Leather Double Wrap Square Case Quartz Watch (www.overstock.com) 8. Rotary Stainless Steel Analogue Watch (www.us.asos.com)